Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Decisions after Death


Author's Note: Well, this is the first piece of poetry that I have written in a very long time. I really struggle with poetry, and decided I needed to leave my comfort zone and give it a try. I really enjoyed in chapter 6 the mystery and torn spirit that surrounded Mr. Utterson since he was left with a letter only to be opened after the death of Lanyon and then Dr. Jekyll. Since Lanyon died in this chapter Utterson discovered he would have to wait for another death to behold its contents. I was inspired by the quote, "The night after the funeral, at which he had been sadly affected, Utterson locked the door of his business room, and sitting there by the light of a melancholy candle, drew out and set before him an envelope addressed by the hand and sealed with the seal of his dead friend" (58). The other quote that I got my inspiration from was, "It is one thing to mortify curiosity, another to conquer it; and it may be doubted if, from that day forth, Utterson desired the society of his surviving friend with the same eagerness" (59). So, through this piece I hope to have illustrated effectively the spot that Mr. Utterson is in.

Mourn the death
Cry away the tears
Release the sorrow
Let go of the fears

Everyone dies
It’s a fact of life
Something is always left behind
Leaving a family in strife

Whether a letter or a will
Remnants of prior days
These reminders do not fade
Relationships are frayed

What should be done?
What is this letter?
How should this be handled?
If only the days were better

Torn between two paths
Read the letter or obey the dead
Fulfill curiosity
Or let it remain unread

Fleeting Moments
Restless Nights
Outstretched Days
Mindless Fights

Loath the dead
Curse there name
No matter what though
Decision time remains

Mourn the death
Cry away the tears
Release the sorrow
Let go of the fears

4 comments:

  1. Amanda, I really like this! You should do poetry more often, this was great! I love how concise it was and how it rhymed--enhanced the flow very well! The only thing I could think of changing were to maybe split up one or two lines so they aren't much longer than the others, otherwise great job! The repetition of the first stanza at the end really got your point across and truly captured the emotions that come with death!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was really great Amanda! You should write poetry more often! I really liked the rhyming in the stanzas and your diction. If I would change anything I would add more saturated words. Other than that great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really good poem. I like how managed to make it rhyme and keep it relevant with the story. Your diction was good, with words like loath and mourn showing a lot of emotion. I also like how you repeated the last line for emotional effect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can't right poetry... yeah right! That was great! You should write poetry more often. I liked the repetitive mourn to death stanzas. It added a really great affect on your poem. nice job.

    ReplyDelete